Skillet Tofu Parmigiana Recipe
Want to try a meatless Monday? Have a vegetarian in the household? This recipe is great for flexitarians and vegetarians and is a perfect introduction to tofu (it’s not as scary as you think)!.
Skillet Tofu Parmigiana
Makes 4 servings.
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- One 14-ounce package firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried basil
- Place bread crumbs in shallow dish.
- Cut tofu lengthwise into ¼” steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt and then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and begin to brown, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour marinara sauce over the mushrooms and scatter mozzarella on top.
- Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.