What a crazy-busy month! Keep ingredients on hand for this very quick, 1-pot meal—it’s sure to get you out of a time crunch.
Note: this recipe can be a good introduction to beans—it will be difficult to tell there are refried beans once everything is combined. If your kids have not eaten this type of food, you may want to reduce the water so the final product is thick enough to scoop with a tortilla chip. Serve with a handful of chips that the kids can use to eat the soup. But when the handful of chips are gone, don’t offer more or they will try to make a meal of chips!
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tsp. canola or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (1.25-ounce) taco seasoning mix (lower sodium)
- 2 cups water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked & diced
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat; add onion and cook for five minutes, stirring routinely.
- Add refried beans, diced tomatoes, corn, taco seasoning and water; bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add cooked chicken breast pieces and cook an additional two minutes. Serve right away.