Breakfast on weekends sometimes never happens and can set off a day of “grazing.” Meals stabilize eating, so here is a quick recipe for starting the day off right.
Pick up the ingredients today and try this recipe with your family this weekend. Leave a comment below and let us know how they liked it.
Breakfast (or anytime) Casserole
Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns (or shredded, leftover potatoes)
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cup coarsely chopped vegetables (seasonal or whatever is on-hand: peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, etc.)
- 3 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup soy sausage, cooked sausage or ham bits (optional)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup skim or 1% milk
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Mix potatoes, vegetables and oil and spread evenly in a square baking pan or shallow casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350. Scatter sausage (optional) and cheese evenly over the top. Beat egg and milk, then pour over casserole. Bake 25 mins.
- This recipe reheats well in the microwave (about 2 minutes for 1 serving), so works even when some of the kids sleep in!
What vegetable and protein combination did you try? How did you family like this recipe?